Tuesday, December 20, 2005

 

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Chicago's December Deep Freeze continues...

It's our second straight morning of temperatures at or below zero...with windchills well below zero. Since November 29th, the amount of time we've been above freezing can be measured in hours...and it wouldn't take much more than one hand to count those hours.

Yesterday, our high temperature was +11. The low was -1. And, windchills dropped to around -20.

That said, it was actually a pretty nice day...bright sunshine, and not a cloud in the sky. I decided to walk the nearly one mile from WLS to home...and, despite bank thermometers that read +8, it really wasn't all that bad. There was one stretch - walking right along the Chicago River - that was pretty cold. Other than that, it was okay.

Temps should be in the mid 30s by Thursday...and are expected to stay in the 30s through Christmas.

Jeanne and I bought some new gloves for me at Marshall Field's (soon to be Macy's - ugh!) on Sunday. I traded the dexterity that comes with the Isotoners I've been wearing...for the added warmth of these fur-lined gloves.

I'm now completely recovered from whatever touch of illness I had after pulling an all-nighter in blowing snow at the scene of the recent Southwest Airlines crash at Midway Airport. I wasn't really sick - just worn out, and a little under the weather. Standing out in that heavy snow - with temps in the low teens - can take its toll.

I guess I'm not 25 any more...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?