Monday, November 21, 2005

 

Hugh Neary 1975 - 2005


I was very saddened to learn of the passing of Hugh Neary. Hugh died unexpectedly last night (Sunday) at a local hospital. He was 30 years old.

Hugh was a former co-worker at ABC Radio Chicago, starting as a tech producer (control board operator) at WLS in the late 1990s. He also worked extensively as a tech producer at our FM sister station. However, I first met Hugh when he was a student of mine at Columbia College in the mid '90s.

When I severely injured my knee and had a total reconstruction several years ago, it was Hugh who "babysat" me in the WLS newsroom. They propped me up at my control board, and Hugh was my "gofer"...running around getting stuff for me - copy, coffee, whatever I needed. I never forgot his kindness.

Hugh was just a great kid, with a wonderful sense of humor. I am deeply saddened by his passing.

The following info on Hugh's passing comes from long-time Chicago broadcaster Allan Stagg, who worked with Hugh at our sister station, the former WXCD-FM:

I have spoken with Hugh Neary`s sister, Judy, and have, unfortunately, received confirmation of Hugh`s passing Sunday night.

Judy told me Hugh had gone into a hospital Thursday evening for emergency surgery due to an infection. He was supposed to come home Monday. Hugh`s mom and Judy had just seen him Sunday evening when they brought him clothes for his anticipated return home.

From what I can gather, shortly after they left, Hugh got up out of bed for a trip to the restroom. A blood clot in his leg (of which the medical staff was apparently unaware), thus moved and travelled into his lungs. He reportedly collapsed and died instantly.

Hugh just celebrated his thirtieth birthday last month. His obituary will be posted in the Chicago Tribune on Thursday and Friday.

The wake is this Friday from 3-9 pm at:
Andrew J. McGann & Son Funeral Home
10727 South Pulaski Road
Chicago, IL. 60655
(773) 783-7700

The funeral leaves Saturday morning at 9:45 am for 10:30 am services at:
Holy Redeemer Church
9525 S. Lawndale Avenue
Evergreen Park, IL. 60805
(708) 425-5354

Comments:
I went to high school with Hugh at Brother Rice and also worked with him at WXAV at Saint Xavier University. Thank you for posting this on your blog. Although I lost contact with Hugh over the years, I have thought of him from time to time and his passion for his jobs in radio. His hard work and dedication is an inspiration.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?