Tuesday, November 08, 2005

 

A Dangerous Trend


The Bulls have played two regular season home games so far. Both on "school nights"...one on a Wednesday, and one on a Monday.

Both have gone into overtime.

We need to find to a way to break them of that somewhat annoying habit.

The timetable for a regulation NBA is pretty standard. Barring an inordinate number of fouls - which can really slow down a game - Bulls' games typically end at right around 10pm. I waste little time leaving the United Center...make a beeline to the parking lot...and typically get home in time to see the sports segment on the ABC7 news (around 10:23pm or so).

Well, overtime pretty much screws that up. Last night, the game didn't end until nearly 10:30. Then, it took forever to get out of the parking lot. It was going on 11pm by the time I got home. Then, there was a brief "wind down" period. Sometimes it's hard to go to sleep right after an exciting game...no matter how physically tired I may be.

End result...about an hour and a half of sleep. But...I really feel fine this morning.

Two items of note from Monday night's game: While chatting with Bulls GM John Paxson, he mentioned that he "heard me on the radio this morning." Gee, I hope I didn't say anything bad about the Bulls!

And, Bulls captain Kirk Hinrich (the guy in the picture) greeted me with a "Hey, Steve" as I walked into the United Center last night. It's notable...because Kirk - who really is a nice guy - rarely says anything to any one. I didn't even know he knew my name! :)

Speaking of Kirk...as the Bulls' PA announcer, I follow the "Hinrich Rule." Late last season, Kirk asked me not to announce his name while he's preparing to shoot free throws. Before he gets to the foul line...no problem. But, he'd prefer not to hear his name once he has the ball in his hands at the line. He's the only guy in the NBA who's ever asked me to do that. No prob...I do it!

The Bulls have another home game Wednesday night. Let's try to keep this one to 48 minutes, fellas! :)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?