Saturday, September 17, 2005

 

Deadly Metra Train Crash


These are just a few photos from today's derailment of a Metra commuter rail train on Chicago's south side. The train was on its way from Joliet into downtown Chicago, when it left the track at 47th and Federal Streets.

Two people were killed in the crash...more than 80 were injured. It was the first fatal accident in Metra's history. The most serious injuries appeared to be in one car (the one where the tarp is being set up for the removal of the deceased victim).

Strangely, I helped with the investigation. I was snooping around an abandoned building near the tracks, when I found...a train axle! No one else had spotted it...but it was easy to see what had happened. The axle had broken loose...then rolled around 100 feet over another set of rail tracks...plowed through a chain link fence...went down an embankment...and then smacked into the building. It was pretty well hidden...had I not been snooping around back there, they may not have found it right away. Within five minutes of my discovery, a rail crew hauled the big axle away.


I filed numerous reports on WLS...and also did many live shots on ABC News Radio. I was the lead story - reporting live from the scene - for several hours. ABC seems to have been happy with the job I did.

This certainly was not the worst train wreck I've ever seen (that would have been the deadly Bourbonnais Amtrak crash from a few years ago)...but, it was pretty bad. And, sadly...deadly.

Although today was supposed to be a routine day for me anchoring newscasts during our Notre Dame football coverage on WLS, it turned out to be a pretty busy day. I'm always glad when I can go out into the field and report. Although I enjoy anchoring the news on Don and Roma's show, I really love reporting from the field.

(photos courtesy Chicago Sun-Times)

Comments:
Sorry to had to listen to such a "cliffhanger" of a game yesterday (Notre Dame). It's interesting hearing bites from fans leaving the game - you think the just lost their best friend in the world - when the team is still 2-1 and Weis tied a record that was at least 80 years old (I think).
 
I was on-scene at the Fox River crash ... that definitely ranks up there in my book.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?