Thursday, August 25, 2005

 

The Dumbest Policy I've Ever Seen

So, I walk into a downtown Walgreens yesterday to pick up some vacation photos that I had dropped off the day before. It all seemed like it would be so easy...

First, some background...

I had gone into this Walgreens (at Clark and Lake Streets) on Tuesday...to drop off a waterproof disposal camera and a roll of film that were in addition to the digital pics we had taken in Cabo San Lucas. The first thing the clerk at the photo counter tells me is, "We don't have one hour processing today." That's fine, I told her...I didn't need the pics in an hour. The next day would be fine.

"How about 9am?" I asked.

"Ummm...no, not til 2pm."

"Hmmmm," I said, "Not only do you not have one hour processing today...you don't even have 24 hour processing."

She didn't seem to get it.

Anyway, I left the pics and went on my way.

Yesterday (Wednesday) was our news intern's final day at WLS...so, as is tradition, we took her out to lunch. I finished up with that at around 12:30pm (make note of that time, okay?)...and decided to walk over to the Walgreens to see if my photos were ready.

There was a long line at the photo counter...but it moved along pretty quickly. I did run into my friend Paul Meincke of WLS-TV while I was standing in line...so it was nice to chat with him. Paul is, in my mind, perhaps the best general assignment reporter on Chicago television.

I finally make it to the photo counter and tell the clerk, "I have a 2pm pickup...I was wondering if my pictures might be ready a little early."

She looks into those baskets that Walgreens seems to use for everything from photos to prescriptions...the ones with last name initials on them...and digs through the pile of envelopes.

"Here they are, Mr. Scott," she says.

Yea! Success!

"Uh oh."

"Uh oh?"

"I can't sell these to you. They're stamped for a 2pm pickup...and it's only a little before one."

"Huh?"

"Sorry."

"But, I'm right here," I said. "Here's my credit card. Just hand me the pictures and I'll hand you the credit card. I'll get my pictures...you'll get your money...we'll all be happy."

"Ummm...no, I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"They're stamped for 2pm. The system won't process the transaction until after 2pm."

"You mean to tell me that the pictures are ready...early...and I'm here with money...early...and I can't have my pictures?"

"That's right."

"You're serious?"

"Yeah."

"Miss," I told her, "I'm not mad at you...but, I have to tell you, that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard!"

"Yeah, I know. Sorry."

"You're serious?"

"Yeah."

I notice that a woman standing in line next to me - who had apparently been watching this whole discussion - was so incredulous that her eyes were bulging out, a la "Runaway Bride" Jennifer Wilbanks. It was kind of creepy, actually...

Anyway...at this point, I probably should have sought out a manager or made some sort of fuss...but, I was tired and wanted to go home (and look at my pictures!)...so I just turned and walked away. I did run into the aforementioned Paul Meincke again as I walked through the store and told him about my experience. We just shook our heads...shook hands...and walked off in different directions.

So, now it's Thursday. I plan to go back to that Walgreens (did I mention this is the store at Clark and Lake?) again today to try to pick up my pictures.

I can almost imagine what I'm going to hear today.

"I'm sorry, sir...there's a late fee to pick up your photos today. You had to be here by 2pm yesterday."

Comments:
Pretty ridiculous, for sure. Lately I've been uploading my photos online to Ritz Camera. They have them ready to pick up when you get to the store, usually in less than an hour -- and you get an email when they're ready.
 
First of all...you called 911 when your house was burning down and they didn't believe you? Thank goodness no one was killed! That person should have been fired!

And, I must say...it distresses me to no end that I have a professional colleague who was 16 years old in 1994. Good grief. :(
 
Well, I would like to try one of those jets that simulates "zero gravity" to train astronauts! :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?