Sunday, July 03, 2005

 

Holiday Weekend

So far, so good for the holiday weekend. I've received a few phone calls from our weekend news people, letting me know about some breaking stories...but, so far, there's been nothing that I had to drop everything to run out to cover. I hope it stays that way.

I bought an iPod Shuffle yesterday. I don't have a huge collection of downloaded music - maybe 100 songs at this point - so the Shuffle has more than enough capacity for me. Plus, I got it cheap, because the Bulls had given me a Best Buy gift card at the end of the season. I look forward to using the Shuffle during those long, somewhat boring stints on the treadmill.

Best Buy can be a dangerous place for me. I can spend hours in there! Yesterday, was a surgical strike...go in...get the iPod...and get out before I spent any more money!

Speaking of the Bulls...as they do every year after the season ends, they sent me a big box of some of the promotional items that they give away at games during the season. So, I am now fully stocked with hats, shirts, basketballs, etc. Of course, I also get many of these items at the games at which they're actually given away! Need some Bulls stuff? Let me know! : )

We had a nice dinner at the Erie Cafe last night. Even though it's less than a mile from where we've lived for 15 years, Jeanne and I had never had dinner there. I had a good steak...so I was a happy camper!

There was also an element of free entertainment at dinner. Two very prominent Chicago aldermen were dining at separate tables...one, with his family...the other (not surprisingly) alone. These two fellows happen to be longtime personal friends. One alderman (the lonely guy) called the other on his cell phone - I guess 15 feet was too far to walk! At one point, we heard the words "He's a reporter?" In the end, I think one alderman picked up the other's dinner tab.

Tonight - July 3rd - is the big night for fireworks in Chicago. They shoot them off from a barge just offshore in Lake Michigan. We plan to have dinner on Navy Pier tonight...it should provide a good view of the fireworks.

The weather here has been just about perfect the last few days...on the heels of that stretch of 8 consecutive days of 90+ degree temperatures (unusual for Chicago). So, it should be nice for the fireworks tonight.

I'm off work on Monday...but, since I'm in town, I'll be available if we have a huge breaking news story Monday morning.

Have a great holiday, every one!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?