Friday, June 03, 2005

 

Durbin Speaks on Cams & Mics in the Federal Courts

As mentioned in an earlier post, Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) has signed on as a co-sponsor of a bill that would allow cameras and microphones in the federal courts.

Senator Durbin was at WLS last night, and talked with political editor Bill Cameron about the Sunshine in the Courtroom Act of 2005.

Below is a verbatim of their conversation:

Cameron: I see you're the co-sponsor of a bill to allow cameras in federal courtrooms. Is this going to see the light of day?

Durbin: I'm not sure it will. I think it's a valuable thing, because I think we need to de-mystify government. And, we also have to let people know that some of the popular television shows with judges on them don't reflect the reality of a courtroom. Now, it can be abused. The OJ Simpson trial was an example. It was clear that every one in the courtroom was playing to the camera...and, I'm not sure that served justice. But, if it's handled in a fair way - if it's supervised well - I think de-mystifying our judicial process is a good thing. I think people ought to understand how decisions are made by judges and juries.

Cameron: But, it won't pass, will it?

Durbin: I doubt it. It's too controversial. I think there are a lot of people who believe that having a camera in the courtroom is somehow going to diminish the outcome...that judges and perhaps attorneys will be playing to the camera...as many people do in Congress today. And, so, it will take something away from the process.


The Illinois News Broadcasters Association, of which I am president, supports the Sunshine in the Courtroom Act of 2005...and hopes Senator Durbin will continue to fight for its passage.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?