Friday, May 20, 2005

 

Students: The Future of Our Business

I'm fortunate to be a member of two organizations that work hard on behalf of broadcast journalists. The Illinois News Broadcasters Association (INBA) and Radio-Television News Directors Association (RTNDA) fight to protect and expand press freedoms for broadcast journalists in Illinois and across the country. I am now in my third term as president of INBA, and also serve as Illinois Radio Coordinator for RTNDA.

One of my favorite activities on behalf of these organizations is the opportunity to meet with students who are entering the field of broadcast journalism. As a student at San Jose State University more than 25 years ago - doing news, sports and DJ work on campus station KSJS-FM - I had a chance to meet with broadcast professionals from the Bay Area. I always tried to soak up as much information as I could...and I would always leave inspired and ready to take on the world!

I had a chance to meet with students yesterday at Chicago's Columbia College. Led by two outstanding faculty members, Ray Fanning and Dave Berner, Columbia recently started up an official student chapter of RTNDA. It's a small group...but, boy, are they enthusiastic! I sat in on their first official meeting yesterday...and enjoyed talking with the students about RTNDA, and what the organization has to offer.

I also got to pitch INBA. I told the students that, while RTNDA is working hard on the national level, INBA is their advocate on issues of importance right here in Illinois. I handed out INBA brochures...and, I'm confident we'll pick up a few new student members. Eventually, I'd like to see INBA have a student chapter at Columbia.

It may sound like a trite cliche', but students really are the future of our business. With techology changing the broadcasting landscape - and with journalism under attack from all directions these days - it's important that student know they're entering a viable, honorable and important profession.

I've had the opportunity to visit several colleges and universities across Illinois in recent years...and will continue to do so every chance I get. I don't know if any of the students I met yesterday will remember my visit in 25 years...but, you never know!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?