Friday, May 13, 2005

 

No Bull(s)!

It's now been a week since the Bulls were eliminated from the NBA playoffs in the first round by the Washington Wizards. Even the though the Bulls were the higher seed - and had home court advantage in the series - Washington won, 4 games to 2. In the end, the Bulls were too banged up, too tired, and, perhaps, a bit too young.

A post by my brother, Bob ("bob from novato, ca") asks how I feel about not getting a chance to announce a deciding game 7 in the Washington series...or, being able to go deeper into the playoffs with the Bulls. Well, obviously, I was sorry to see the series - and the season - end. The Bulls, with their 5 rookies and team record-tying 0-9 start, turned out to be one of the great success stories in the NBA. To fight their way back from that horrible start to not only make the playoffs...but host a first round series...was pretty remarkable. The noise level at the United Center toward the end of the season and for the playoffs was as loud - or louder - than it was "back in the day", during the championship years.

Who knows how the Bulls might have done, if not for the loss of center Eddy Curry to a heart ailment for the last few weeks of the regular season, plus the playoffs. I hope Eddy gets healthy and is able to return next season. Losing starting forward Luol Deng to, first a sprained ankle, then a season-ending wrist injury, also hurt the Bulls' chances.

But, hey...it was a fun season. I'll enjoy the summer off. Night games + a morning radio job = a tired Steve! And, that's no Bull!

Comments:
I've always wondered how you've done it. I come into work early and leave early for 10 weeks a year to coach soccer and that's tiring enough. As a fan of the team, I'm sure you were thrilled to see the team back in the post season, but the "lean years" must have made things a lot easier on your schedule.
 
Hi Edgar...thanks for visiting my blog!

I see you spent some time in Salinas/Monterey. I went to school at San Jose State, and worked in radio in San Jose for a couple years before coming to Chicago in 1986. Did you work with Clint's wife? : )

Steve
 
Yes, I worked with Dina. She left the station just as I had arrived, but came back to do a bunch of fill in work and sweeps stories.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?