Friday, May 13, 2005

 

How Quickly We Forget

As a news person, I have to be careful not to offer opinions on major news stories on this blog. It would be improper for me to editorialize to the point where my neutral newsman's position on a story could be called into question.

However, I will say this...we in the news business can be pretty fickle.

Have you ever noticed (geez, I sound like Andy Rooney!) how we will pound a story to death for a day or two...then quickly move on to the next story du jour, while the previous "big story" gets only a line or two of copy?

Earlier this week, we had a "big story" in the Chicago area...two suburban girls brutally murdered in the north suburbs. The father of one of the girls has been charged. Boy, were we all over that one...for about 72 hours. Now that the dad has been charged - and ordered held without bond - we've moved on to the next story. I haven't mentioned the girls' murders at all in my news this morning. Our top story: The deaths of three monkeys at Lincoln Park Zoo (it's actually a good story - the latest in a recent string of deaths of animals from the zoo).

A couple weeks ago, two children were found brutually murdered in their suburban home. The 9 year old boy and 3 year old girl had each been stabbed more than 200 times. Their mother has been charged with murder. A terrible, terrible story. Boy, was that a big one...for 3 or 4 days. Then we moved on. How many people even remember the kids names? (Christian and Gracie Vasilev)

I'm as guilty of this as any other reporter. I don't have a solution. Do you?

Comments:
Perhaps its best to stick to reporting the NEWS. So if there is nothing new about a story, why recast it a thousand times. However, to your point, often there are devbelopments weeks later in a former "headliner" than never get reported. Keep up the good work and keep us informed!
 
Steve: I am reminded of something the NYT's Abe Rosenthal wrote when he visited one of the Nazi death camps. It was an essay that said, and I'm going from memory here, that while there's no actual news to report from the place today, the enormity of what happened here calls out for something to be written.

But stories, especially horrible stories like the murders of children, bed to be written about.

I'm sure that whenever news happens regarding this case, it will get coverage. But we can't let our emotions be our only guide. Our newspapers have only so many pages. Our broadcasts have only so many minutes. We have to cover the new. And move on.
 
Thanks to all who have weighed in on this subject.

I would agree that it is, indeed, up to the reporter to occasionally go back and revisit a story that was "hot" six months (or six weeks or six days) ago. But, we only have so many hours in the day...and so many seconds in each newscast. Sometimes it's much easier said than done.

That said...it is a worthy goal. Perhaps I'll try harder to make a mental - or even written - note about a story that deserves a followup somewhere down the road.

Steve
 
And, to Guy S.:
Thanks for visiting my blog. I see you live in Byron, IL...home of the annual Turkey Testicle Festival. I'm about due to visit the TTF again...maybe this fall!

ss
 
My grandfather was right Michael Jackson's sex life isn't news. Why do people care so much? Allison Heckman Indy, IN
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?